Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:47:33 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting drivers to dynamic memory...

> > > Forget the btree model; it's not going to fly in the face of a direct
> > > reference approach.
> > when did I ever say that we should in the long run choose using a
> > btree over the "correct" way to do it??  I only said it would require
>
> Hashing for example is very good in the kernel, even in cases where you
> think btrees would be better.  The reasoning is along the lines of what
> Koshy was talking about.  If you can abstract things well enough so that
> you can make a change later on very easily, by all means carry on.
> Someone will find a use for your Btrees elsewhere most likely.

... but of course dereferencing a pointer (hardly) requires any
parallelisation.  Why go to all this complexity when all you are
interesting in doing is taking an opaque token and obtaining the
address of a (reasonably non-motile) structure?

Perhaps I'm missing something; let's take the opposite tack.  What
advantages (in real terms) do we gain by storing the address of the
control structure in some fashion and then requiring a token in order
to obtain it?  Is this advantage significant in the face of the not
insubstantial performance penalties?

mike