Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:42:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        noah <noah@indymedia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Micah Anderson <micah@indymedia.org>
Subject:   Re: update

> Hi, I'm working on trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 on a dual p3 700 with
> an Adaptec 3200S raid card. From what I can tell everyone that has tried
> this card has had good luck. When we install FreeBSD (booting off cd) it
> recognizes the card and installs on it perfectly, but when it loads the OS
> off the raid it does something to damage the hardware raid, requiring us
> to rebuild the RAID in the 3200S' bios. We're pretty sure that this isn't
> a hardware problem.

You haven't actually included anything that suggests that there's a
problem occurring, so it's somewhat difficult to guess what's going on.

However, I don't lend much credibility to the suggestion that "FreeBSD
does something to damage the hadware raid" - things just don't happen
like that.

I would be inclined to suspect that you probably have a suspect disk, or
cabling/enclosure problems, but without more details it's hard to be sure.