Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:01:33 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <jmmv@freebsd.org>
To:        "Peel, Casey" <casey.peel@isilon.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>, "bdrewery@FreeBSD.org" <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Please provide process for small, targeted fixes in tools/regression

Hello Casey,

On Apr 11, 2014, at 13:56, Peel, Casey <casey.peel@isilon.com> wrote:

> I have several small, targted fixes to files in src/tools/regression/ =
to:
>=20
> 1)      enable existing *.t tests to run that were failing

This is not "too hard" but is certainly tricky.

I did a bunch of them about a month ago but didn't write a lot of =
documentation on the topic.  You can find some useful notes in =
http://goo.gl/rWpdDR though, which includes slides and accompanying =
notes for the tutorial I gave at AsiaBSDCon.  Most of that ought to be =
converted to actual documentation of course.

The very first step, which is arguably the hardest, is to get the tests =
to work while running them with the prove(1) tool.  This has several =
implications (an important one being that any testing logic must be =
removed from the Makefile).

> 2)      add new *.t files for directories that enable running =
TAP-enabled binaries through prove

That's good as a second step.  I suspect these new *.t files will just =
invoke another script (the actual test), which means the .t files will =
be removed when the tests are hooked into the test suite.  But that's =
fine: it's better to get them running with prove(1) first because then =
the move is simple enough.

> 3)      *.c updates to remove clang compiler warnings

Yes please.

Once the tests run with prove(1) and pass, we can bundle them into the =
test suite.  This roughly involves moving the code to corresponding =
'tests/' subdirectories, writing Makefiles and updating the mtree.  =
Mostly mechanical (but very annoying when the tests provide tons of data =
files; see usr.bin/make/tests/).

> Can someone please provide a process for getting these approved and =
committed in a timely manner? I would prefer to get these upstream and =
then pull them down if at all possible, but I simply don't have time for =
these to languish for weeks in a committee.
>=20
> Isilon has BSD committers (eg: bdrewery) I can leverage if that would =
be more expedient but given these are all testing-centric it seems like =
getting approval from one or more people on freebsd-testing would be =
best.

If you can get self-contained diffs, I can try to get them in for you =
(but can't make any promises as my time for FreeBSD varies significantly =
week to week...)

For simplicity of review, I'd appreciate at least one patch for every =
subdirectory within tools/regression/foo/bar/ with at least one patch to =
get the first tests up and running first with prove(1).  More patches =
are better!

The move of the fixed tests to the new infrastructure (aka the =
boilerplate work) is something I may be able to help with.=