Date:      Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:17:31 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreshPorts personal newsfeeds

I'm working on adding the ability to have personal news feeds on
FreshPorts.  In short, you'll be able to customize a news feed by
selecting the ports you want included, nothing else.  If you already
use FreshPorts, you know what a watch list is [if you don't, you
should be using it....].  Each watch list will have its own newsfeed.

The URL will be something like this:

http://www.freshports.org/rss/watch-
list.php?token=07c5e534565839f10b536f3ed638be8412602130bb82f95fbb5a682
b5655aa38

That number is unique to your watch list.  Why have such a number?  I
need some way to uniquely idenfity your watch list[s].  You won't
need to log into FreshPorts to retrieve your news feed, so the token
is needed.

I could just use sequential numbers, but that would make it trivial
for people to peruse random news feeds.  Not that there is nothing
personal or identifying in a newsfeed....

The token is random, more or less, and unique to your newsfeed.  It's
non-trivial to guess, but if you did guess one, big deal, you have a
newsfeed.  *yawn*.

With regards to the token, any ideas, suggestions, comments as to
this approach.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/