Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 23:30:49 +0100
From:      se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Things are looking up :-)

On Mar 13, 21:29, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
} As David Greenman wrote:
} >
} [bump minfree in ufs]
} > time which is very CPU intensive. Use the command "tunefs -m 8 /dev/r..." on
} > your (unmounted) filesystems to change it.
}         ^^^^^^^^^
}
} What will happend when i do this on a mounted fs?  I hope the worst is
} it will only take an effect at the next re{boot,mount}, yes?

No, it will not take effect at all ...
The superblock is rewritten with in core
values at unmount time, and the changes
will be lost.

I just booted single user and did the
tunefs using the raw devices.

Since the root file system has been mounted
read only, there is no superblock update,
and you are save to proceed with the multi
user startup ...
(Well, I preferred to reboot, to be sure :)

Regards, STefanes