Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:53:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, karel@lovetemple.net, joerg@FreeBSD.org, mm@FreeBSD.org, eischen@vigrid.com
Subject:   Re: Maintaining compiler front-ends (Re: The state of Ada)

----- Original Message ----=0A=0AFrom: Mikhail T. <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.co=
m>=0ATo: John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>=0ACc: ports@Fre=
eBSD.org; karel@lovetemple.net; eischen@vigrid.com; mm@FreeBSD.org; joerg@F=
reeBSD.org=0ASent: Fri, January 8, 2010 11:37:37 AM=0ASubject: Maintaining =
compiler front-ends (Re: The state of Ada)=0A=0A01/08/10 13:10, John Merryw=
eather Cooper =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=B2(=D0=BB=D0=B0):=0A>=
 Well, the [Ada -mi] compiler needs to be upgraded to the latest version.  =
Linux gets a compiler out of the box, but we have to bend one to shape.=0AI=
 remain convinced, that the "bending into shape" ought to begin with making=
 the additional GNU compiler front-ends (be they Ada, or Lisp, Java, Fortra=
n, Pascal, Objective C, etc.) addable to an already existing C-compiler. I =
find it crazy, that every such front end currently downloads and builds its=
 own gcc-core-SOMEVERSION, instead of using the base gcc or DEPEND-ing on l=
ang/gccSOMEVERSION.=0A=0AYes, I am well aware, that this is, how GNU people=
 do things. No, I don't think, there is nothing FreeBSD can do about it... =
Starting with making all such compilers use common binutils. (Perhaps, thes=
e can even be provided by the base -- NetBSD does just that, for example...=
)=0A=0AOnce done, ports of front-ends will no longer have to each deal with=
 the back-end making the maintainership easier and thus giving us better po=
rts...=0A=0A   -mi=0A=0ACommon binutils would help alot.  In general, it wo=
uld also be excellent to return to a schema where languages are considered =
plugins to GCC.  The savings in disk space, build trouble, and compiler por=
ting could be substantial.=0A=0Ajmc