Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:34:45 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, np@bsn.com
Subject:   Re: /dev/pts/0 in a jail shows no one is observing from outer prison.

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> writes:
>   A ssh to a jail followed by Who, if it shows just pts/0, shows
>   no one else is logged in { within jail And Also Outer Prison
>   [And presumably also other parallel jails] }.

Not really, it just shows that pts/0 was available.  Like file
descriptors, pseudo-ttys are allocated on a first-unused basis.  There
could be twenty people logged in; if the first logs out, the
twenty-first gets pts/0.

Also, please read the warning at the start of the jail chapter in the
FreeBSD handbook.  I should probably update it to note that there are
many ways in which information can leak between jails and the host.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no