Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:35:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan-Espen Pettersen <sigsegv@radiotube.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   usb/103046: [patch] ulpt event driven I/O with select(2) and nonblock

>Number:         103046
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       [patch] ulpt event driven I/O with select(2) and nonblock
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD endeavour.localnet.radiotube.org 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #4: Fri Sep 8 19:19:26 CEST 2006 sigsegv@endeavour.localnet.radiotube.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/FreeBSD-6/sys/ENDEAVOUR i386

ports:
cups-1.2.0
cups-base-1.2.2

ulpt0: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Samsung ML-1710, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

cups 1.2 started to use select(2) to check for "backchannel" data.
Since the ulpt driver does not have a poll function, and therefore
select(2) will return with an read-event immediately. But since some
printers just doesn't return any backchannel data the subsequent read(2)
syscall will just block forever. This effectively prevents printing with
default settings to these printers. I will therefore suggest having
some minimal nonblocking I/O with a select(2) syscall that works for
reading data from the printer.

>How-To-Repeat:
This can be repeated with printers that does not give any data back
on the receive pipe. Bulk reads initiated by read(2) syscalls blocks
forever. You can see this with 'cat /dev/ulpt0'. It'll just hang.
But the most serious issue is that cups tries to read from these
printers effectively blocking the print job in a read(2) syscall.

>Fix:
I can see mainly two ways to solve this issue, either:

* time out the bulk reads and return EIO or similar if the printer
does not respond.

* or, implement event driven and/or nonblocking I/O.

I have created a patch that at least currently applies to
6.1-STABLE that implements minimal event driven I/O for reading
and nonblocking reads:
http://www.radiotube.org/ulpt_poll.diff