Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:57:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        roell@blah.a.isar.de (Thomas Roell)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

As Thomas Roell wrote:

> > F_SETOWN on a tty only works for controlling terminals.  This is because
> > F_SETOWN is implemented as tcsetpgrp() and tcsetpgrp() is specified by
> > POSIX.

> 1) How do I get my process to be the controlling pgrp of this tty ? I
>    tried all things that worked under SVR4, but I'm lost on this one.
>    Just a couple of sample code lines would help me here incredible.

See my other example (you might have missed it, i've sent it to
freebsd-hackers).  Basically, after #include'ing the appropriate
headers:

	fork() -> exit the parent
	setsid()
	ioctl(fd, TIOCSCTTY, NULL)

I doubt this is what you want :), don't you think polling with
select() would be easier?

> 2) Can my progress have two controlling ttys ?

Of course not.

> 3) Since this process has opened already a virutal terminal, he is
>    recieving signals for VT switching. Now if I would detach this one
>    from being the controlling tty and move the controlling tty to
>    /dev/cuaa1, would I still get those signals ?

Of course not.  But you would see the SIGHUP caused by unplugging the
mouse. =:)

--
cheers, J"org