Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 09:58:53 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "John D. Smerdon" <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm), smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat II SMP video problems

Hi,

looks like we have the Tomcat II working with APIC_IO now:

> >#define FAKE_8254_NC
> >#define IRQ_LO_NC
>
> That did it!  Thanks for your efforts!
>
> A message popped up during the init sequence that "APIC missing 8254
> connection" and to press return.
>
> I started X, compiled a kernel at "-j 8", and everything worked.
>
> The mptable output differences between the last attempt and this are:
> [ ... ]
> 170c170,172
> < Enabled INTs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17, imen: 0x00fdec01
> ---
> > APIC missing 8254 connection
> >  to continue...
> > Enabled INTs: 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17, imen: 0x00fdec04

---
I thought that other tomcat IIs were already using APIC_IO but looking thru
my records there were mostly Tomcat IIIs.  The only other specific reference
to a Tomcat II and APIC_IO I could find was from Andreas Klemm:

>I have a tyan tomcat II with 2 x 133 MHz CPU's, 512k burst cache
>and 64 MB RAM. The SMP kernel runs fine, when I'm only defining
>
>options SMP
>options NCPU=2
>
>If I'n enabling the option APIC_IO, then the machine boots until
>the login prompt. Shortly before it starts up the 2nd CPU, but
>after that hangs.
>
>The keaboard is dead. An rlogin to it worked, I got an login
>prompt, could login and send one command, after that the session
>was frozen and I wasn't able to start another remote login.

sounds VERY similar to the symptoms reported for the above board.
Andreas, could you try what worked for that one:

----------------------------------- cut -------------------------------------
ok, one last thing to try, in src/sys/i386/include/smptests.h you will find
2 defines commented out:

*
#define FAKE_8254_NC
#define IRQ_LO_NC
*/

move these to outside the comment block (ie uncomment them), build an
APIC_IO kernel and see if that works.  make sure to add options SMP_INVLTLB
to the config file along with APIC_IO, and make NINTR == to at least 24
(or don't even bother with option NINTR).

If this fixes Andreas's board (I suspect it will), we have a genuine rogue
on our hands.  The MP spec says that the 8254 timer may be left off the
APIC (forcing you to do mixed mode programming with BOTH 8254s and the
IO APIC).  But the mp table MUST reflect this fact, which the tomcat II
is FAILING to do.  I will speak more on this once I get results back from
Andreas or another tomcat II owner.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD