Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:56:45 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal on shared libs version values.

In message <XFMail.20010213114107.ak03@gte.com> "Alexander N. Kabaev" writes:
: I know this will sound silly, but if numbers in shared libraries file names
: mean nothing to the loader, why can't we just go back to using
: lib.so.<major>.<minor> naming convention for libc? Jumping between versions
: (5xx -> 5) just does not seem right.

I just got mail telling me that's what OpenBSD does for these things.
ELF libraries do not have minor numbers.  The major number in this
case would be 5.1, but that's OK.  It still looks "pretty" enough to
ship with 5.0 since 5.0 is going to have a FreeBSD_version number
greater than 500000.  We're already up to 500013 (or likely higher
since the current system I'm typing on is very old).  There's no
reason we couldn't ship with 5.4 and just leave it at that.  Of course
there's also no reason, besides OBrien's yell of HACK (which it
isn't), of shipping with libc.so.12 either.

Warner