Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:08:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, java@FreeBSD.org, jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   Re: porting libjava to FreeBSD

David O'Brien once stated:

=> I'm trying  to make a  port of libjava (to  give some meaning  to the
=> currently  useless gcj  installed by  the egcs  port on  -stable, for
=> example). It also seems to provide A LOT faster java compiler...
=
=I'm quite  interested in this.  However, would  you be willing  to base
=your  work on  the either  the FreeBSD  gcc-devel port,  or on  the GCC
="head" branch snapshot?

You  mean, as  opposite to  the egcs  port? Or  as opposite  to being  a
standalone  port? According  to  libjava  people, they  do  not see  the
libjava itself  integrated into the  GNU Compiler Suite anytime  soon --
for  political  reasons. So,  may  be,  it  should be  standalone.  like
libstdc++ port?

=I am  pretty sure major  additions like this  would not be  accepted by
=Cygnus/GCC in the 2.95.x branch. And  I don't look forward to trying to
=port such stuff to  the newer GCC code base, which  is where the future
=is.

Well, how far in the future is this future?

=> Any  suggestions on  what  should  be used  on  FreeBSD instead?  Or,
=> perhaps, this is not going to  work and a new freebsd_threads.c needs
=> to be written for libjava? Thanks,
=
=There  have  been   some  thread  configuration  changes   in  the  GCC
=development branch. I should have an updated ``gcc-devel'' port working
=and committed within the week.

Is not  the 2.95.1 more  stable for normal  usage? Java is,  typicly, of
interest for application programmers, so  the tool's stability is the #1
prioriry... FreeBSD is (currently) NOT a primary platform for most. AND,
this is what the current libjava release 2.95.1 is based on. Yours,

	-mi