Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:50:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

I'd really apreciate one thing.  I've noticed an extreme and virulent
allergy some folks have to doing the startup tasks ala SVR4 style.  I do
know that style.  Can one of you tell me if there's any strong reason
against doing things in that mode, other than simple prejudice?

I'm perfectly willing to take an argument in either direction, but I have
seen lots of attacks on the SVR4 method, that often end up on a shaggy
dog story about some 3rd system.  I don't understand this, and I'd really
like to.

BTW, I'm not talking about SVR4 init, or inittab, just the system of
rc.0, rc.1, etc, and the S and K files, for startup and shutdown.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |