Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:36:00 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting root...

Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
 > On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 09:44:48PM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
 > +>
 > +> I've been playing with your patch for delaying mounting the root
 > +> partition, and I need some guidance on a reasonable number for the
 > +> delay value.
 > +>
 > +> I have two scsi disks, with identical MBR partition tables, and
 > +> identical disklabels in da0s1 and da1s1.  I have a geom mirror set up
 > +> mirroring those two MBR-slices, and then have a bsd label on the
 > +> resulting "slice", and mount the standard a,d,e,f partitions.
 > +>
 > +> With the default value of the delay, when I shutdown cleanly, and
 > +> reboot, I get:
 > [...]
 >
 > If you don't have swap partition on the mirror everything should be fine.

Sure enough, if I comment my swap partition out of /etc/fstab, reboot
(which causes a rebuild because I was just using the swap), then
reboot again (this time I've been running w/out swap), it comes right
up w/out a rebuild.

 > PS. I'm CCing reply to freebsd-geom@, maybe others are also interested.

I didn't realize there was a freebsd-geom, I've subscribed and grabbed
the archives.

It looks like you've been discussing the same problem with kris @
home.pl, and you mention that it's "fixed in current", but he still
needs to remove his swap partition to get a clean restart, so I'm
assuming you fixed a different problem here.

paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu mentions a similar problem on a
NetBSD/RAIDframe system, and says that defining swapoff in
/etc/rc.conf fixes it there.

We do have a swapoff variable that's used in /etc/rc.d/swap1, I tried
defining it

 swapoff="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf, but I still had a rebuild.  But, I never saw the
message about "Removing block-type swap devices" that swap1_stop()
should also produce, so I may be missing something.

Actually, I'm definitely confused about the _stop() and _start()
stuff.  Setting swapoff="YES" doesn't seem to make the script remove
any swap partitions.  Editing /etc/rc.d/swap1 and changing stop_cmd
from ':' to 'swapoff -a' let's me add and remove my swap by saying 'sh
/etc/rc.d/swap1 start|stop', but even with that change, I still get a
rebuild when I reboot.

Is stopping swap not enough?

Suggestions?

g.