Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 13:24:48 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Steven D. Meacham" <smeacham@intcon.net>, "Marty Poulin" <mpoulin@honk.org>
Cc:        "Steven D. Meacham" <steve.meacham@homemail.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question re:dual processors

 I have already read the FAQ and portions of the handbook and I knew
> that SMP is supported by 3.0 and above.  I really wanted to know if it
> is enabled "out-of-the-box" or if kernal tweaking is needed like with
> Linux.

It does need a spot of tweaking, but thats infinitely more straightforward
in FreeBSD than it ever was in linux ......

You do need to read the relevant parts of the handbook / Complete FreeBSD /
mailing list archives /  links on the subject at freebsd.org , but thats all
I had to do to get SMP running. I'm usually the last to recommend the
regular docs for raw beginners, but in this case all the info needed is
provided with *all* steps explained in full :)