Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:41:53 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tekram DC-395 driver maintenance

As Nate Lawson wrote:

> > In the course of investigating his problems, i eventually found out
> > that there was one serious bug in that driver: upon detecting a CHECK
> > CONDITION, they didn't set the appropriate CAM error flag
> > (CAM_SCSI_STATUS_ERROR), so the CAM layer never bothered to handle the
> > error at all.

> I was able to get the fault once also but have not seemed to be able to
> duplicate it.  Were you able to track down where xpt failed to catch
> the zero?

In that case it wasn't xpt panicing, but somewhere in the slice code.
Of course, since the CAM layer relied on the results of the geometry
inquiry to be correct (since there was no error signalled), it passed
them on to the upper layers which obviously assume that those figures
make at least some sense (sector sizes of 0 don't make sense).

> I don't have a problem with importing it but I defer to someone
> who's been around longer.  I'm guessing it should go in
> sys/contrib/dev to ease style(9) and import impact.

I thought that sys/contrib is a bit too much for just two files, but
yes, i don't like the idea to stuff them into sys/pci, but would
rather use sys/dev/trm instead.  I think it's tolerable for imported
vendor code to be not 100 % style(9) compliant, although i'd at least
like to fix the 4-space hard tabs.  However, this only makes sense if
Tekram agrees on that change and is willing to also do that in their
own sources.  Otherwise it'll become a maintenance nightmare.