Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:49:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update question.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Polytropon wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:36:51 -0400 (EDT), doug@safeport.com wrote:
>> I wanted to see if I could get an 8.1 system updated to 9.0 (mostly) with
>> freebsd-update. I did this with a source update to RELENG_8_3 and then did the
>> standard stuff to get to 9.0
>>
>> perl and xdm both gave errors that libutil.so.9 was missing. scanning google and
>> questions suggested this module was removed. Also in some basic way the ports
>> make scripts view the system as an 8.X system as make index gives 'Generating
>> INDEX-8 - please wait.."
>>
>> Can this be repaired? Building from source is out of the question for this
>> system.
>
> After a major version update (8.x -> 9.x) you should reinstall
> _all_ ports. See "man portmaster" (EXAMPLES section) for suggestions
> on how to do this.
>
> If you want to avoid it. you can install the compat8x port on
> your system. Unaltered (!) installs from 8.x should continue
> running. But as soon as you're introducing new software, trouble
> may occur. In that case, a clean install of your applications
> should be the better way. (Note that you can do this either by
> source or by packages, just as you prefer.)
>
> The described problem with libutil can be avoided when working
> with the compat8x port. There are more such ports for older
> versions that allow running binaries compiled for those OS
> versions ("API/ABI remapping").

After seeing if xorg and twm would just work, I did remove all packages with
pkg_delete. That did not clear out all of /usr/local. When pkg_add of perl
failed, I just built that. pkg_add of xorg worked. pkg_add of xdm got an error
something along the line of unliking lib/X11/auth... so I deleted that dir and
did pkg_add again. This installed but xdm fails on execution with libutil.so.9
missing.

monhegan:~> uname -a
FreeBSD monhegan.boltsys.com 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0:
   Tue Jun 12 01:47:53 UTC 2012
   root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

But make index thinks (I think) this is an 8.x system. pkg_add did add from
...lastest..9.0 for xorg and xdm. AFAIK there are no 8.x components.