Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:47:06 -0400
From:      Daryl Tilley <dtilley@birchrun.k12.mi.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Troubles with POP3 Mail

We have begun having problems with accessing our E-mail from our POP3
clients (netscape and eudora) yesturday.  Up until then everything had
worked fine, and there have been no changes to any of our systems that
I am aware of.

Our configuration:

-We are running Windows 95 Clients using private TCP/IP addresses
attached to a Novell file server
-We are running Novell BorderManager 2.1 as our firewall
- BSD Unix 2.1
- Cisco Router

When attempting to retrieve our mail from inside the firewall, the
request to connect to the server would time out, and the following
message would appear on the Unix server:
"April 21 13:10:26 webserver popper [8415] warning: can't verify
hostname: gethostbyname (read-rfc1918-for-details.iana.net) failed"

However, we could retrieve the mail from a dial-up account on the
internet.with no problems.

After having no luck in discenring the problem, we proceeded to
shutdown the unix server and reboot it, reset the router, and down and
reboot the BorderManager server.

When attempting to retreive mail from inside the firewall, the client
would still time out (this time while trying to resolve the name as
opposed to while trying to connect to the unix server).  We are able
to ping the unix box, and attach to the web page on the box, and no
longer found any error message on the Unix server.

Accessing mail from a dial in connection over the internet worked fine
(i.e. dial into our local ISP and connect to our mailbox).

Then we tried a third expeiriment, attaching a workstation outside the
firewall and giving it a public IP address.  When we attemtped to get
our mail here, it would attempt to resolve the address and never
succeed.  However, if we sent a mail first, then retrieved our mail,
this would work.

Sending mail from inside the firewall would also time out while trying
to resolve the name.

Any help in where to even begin to look would be greatly appreciated
(i.e. is it a unix problem, router problem, or firewall problem).

Daryl Tilley
Birch Run Area Schools