Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:29:04 -0500
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nate@mnsi.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HELP!!!!!!!!!

Dear FreeBSd list,

I am a new freebsd user. I just installed FreeBSd 2.2.2, I have limited
knowledge of the unix O/S, but am a fast learner. I have a few problems
thus far though, and I would like to know if you can help answer my
questions (listed below):

1- When I press F2 for FreeBSd, the boot MGR gives me "F?" why? (I have
been able to use the boot disk, and boot the kernel from the hardrive
though, and I have tried "fsck", but still nothing?, have been using:
wd(o,a)kernel  when i get boot: on the boot floppie)
2- How do i execute a browser, I have gotten PPP connections going, just
cannot seem to execute a browser, I have both Mosaic, and Lynx installed in
/usr/ports/www ? (I think?)
3- How do I check my e-mail? is there a good graphical software that
someone knows of that is ported for freebsd? if so, where can i get it?
4- When using "mail" to send mail, how does one send, I can enter the
subject, and then type a message, but then what? I also tried this "mail
whoever@isp.net >>somethng.txt" (using ee to create a txt file)
5- When I use a username other than "root", why can't I write to anything?
ee wouldn't let me save any txt files? to anywhere?
6- how does one config, then execute the x-windows GUI?
7- how do i run ircII? i can execute irc, but cannot seem to connect?
8- when using ppp, how does one leave the connection, "shell"? if i do
this, will the connection remain active, how do programs based for the
internet know if I am connected or not?
9- how does one setup Apache? I have the port installed, (also have the
Perl for it)
10- last, but not least, is "perl" the perl5.003 compiler that came in the
ports collection? case almost all the perl apps won't work with it?

Nathan Vidican
1 (519) 728-4190
nate@mnsi.net
Diamond_C of Dalnet, (IRC)