Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:14:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG_2_2, ahc3940UW, XP34300W, /kernel: Queue Full

I'm running a RELENG_2_2 kernel from about 1/5 on a pro/200 (asus p6np5)
with a 3940UW, two XP34300W quantums and and NEC 8x cdrom.  I have an
adaptec internal wide cable with active termination and the bus looks like
this:

a:	ahc3940UW, xp34300W, xp34300W, narrow nec cdrom, active term.
b:      (no devices)

I was thinking that with the active terminator on the cable I could safely
leave the narrow CD player at the end.

Anyways, I have two questions:

When the system boots, I see this boot message while the unused B channel
of the 3940 is probed:

ahc1 <Adaptec 3940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci1:5
ahc1: aic7880 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc1 waiting for scsi devices to settle

ahc1: Someone reset channel A
^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
???

The second and more worriesome question has to do with what happened last
night when Amanda started reading the disks during backup.  After all of
the scanning work, Amanda did a small level 1 backup of a small partition,
during which I got this:

opus /kernel: Queue Full
opus /kernel: sd1(ahc0:1:0): timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x44
opus /kernel: SEQADDR == 0x5a
opus /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): abort message in message buffer
opus /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x54
opus /kernel: SEQADDR == 0x5a
opus /kernel: ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 2 SCBs aborted
opus /kernel: sd1(ahc0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
opus /kernel: , retries:3
opus /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
opus /kernel: , retries:3

I have lots of 3940's and atlas-II drives, including another releng_2_2
system that have never ever burped, so I am assuming this problem has to
do with my termination scheme (which seemed like a good idea at the time
with that big wide terminator coming after the narrow CD player.)

Comments? (other than gassing up the LART or whatever :)

-Chris