Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 02:38:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Undisclosed Name <sysop_blast@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MD5 Checksum Weirdness

Administrivia: Make sure you remember to CC -questions in your reply.
(Hotmail is evil and does not do this automatically).

Undisclosed Name wrote to ryan@sasknow.com:

> Yea its the same file on my drive seems to be constantly changing
> so im going this route of testing: harddrive,cable,nic since I've
> already done memory. and if all that's correct then I quit the
> gnome wins =o(

> It is possible as I have had the following problems. wintendos
> restart during hardware detection, spontanious reboots very very
> unpredictible on those, strage sybols being written from harddrive
> to floppy like files being
> [... snip further horror stories ...]

Definitely sounds like flaky hardware... You'll have to follow the
standard hardware troubleshooting flowcharts (pull it all out and
start putting stuff back in until it complains). If you've got nothing
left but the motherboard, don't forget to test the PS too.

I'd try a different HD first, though, if you have ONLY noticed data
corruption problems, and have had no other unrelated stability
problems.

Check dmesg and /var/log/messages for relevant errors. Usually a
failing HD will raise some pretty blatant red flags in the system
logs.

In any case, it isn't a FreeBSD problem ;-)

> show the memory is good. So if anyone has every had this gremlin
> please share his name so we can put him on the list with Bin
> Makingbigmistakes =o).  Thanks to everyone for there help and
> input as I could use all I can get right now. Since I cant seem to
> reproduce these bugs in a timely manner to find there origin. Just
> needed to make sure it was just me.

Yep, I think it's pretty safe to say it's just you :-)

Happy debugging!
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon