Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 10:25:00 +0200
From:      "Aitor San Juan" <asanjuan@bolsabilbao.es>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   login failures

Hi List,

Our FreeBSD system has been recently reporting login failures, such as:

May 23 16:44:23 lpool login: 2 LOGIN FAILURES FROM host_name_1
May 23 16:44:23 lpool login: 2 LOGIN FAILURES FROM host_name_1, =
logon_user_used_1
May 26 15:07:27 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1
May 26 15:07:27 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1, root
May 26 15:07:34 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1
May 26 15:07:34 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1, logon_name_used_2
May 26 15:21:50 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv0
May 26 15:21:50 lpool login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv0, =
^[[B^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[

I wonder where in the system, in more detail, this is registered. Can I =
assure
that those TTYs refer to logon attemps from the physical console? Is =
there
anyway to track down more information. In addition to this, how could we =
enable
system activity logging?

Any hint would be highly appreciated. Please, point me to any good =
documentation
on FreeBSD security (concepts and planning guide).

Thanks in advance.

Aitor.

************ LEGEZKO OHARRA / AVISO LEGAL / LEGAL ADVICE *************=20
Mezu honek isilpeko informazioa gorde dezake, edo jabea duena, edota =
legez babestuta dagoena. Zuri zuzendua ez bada, bidali duenari esan eta =
ezabatu, inori berbidali edo gorde gabe, legeak debekatzen duelako =
mezuak erabiltzea baimenik gabe.=20
-
Este mensaje puede contener informaci=F3n confidencial, en propiedad o =
legalmente protegida. Si usted no es el destinatario, le rogamos lo =
comunique al remitente y proceda a borrarlo, sin reenviarlo ni =
conservarlo, ya que su uso no autorizado est=E1 prohibido legalmente.
-
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged =
information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, =
please notify it to the sender and delete without resending or backing =
it, as it is legally prohibited.
*