Date:               Mon, 2 Oct 1995 16:26:15 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         re: dat tape problems....

Thus spake Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net> (Mon, 2 Oct 1995):

|  > From: rjb@intac.com
|  > I'm trying to get my Conner 4gig dat tape drive to mount under 2.0.5. It's
|  > connected to an Adaptec SCSI controller. The st driver sees the drive at
|  > boot time with and without a tape loaded.

I don't think mounting and sequential devices like (any kind of) tape go in
the same breath.  AFAIK, to mount implies some kind of filesystem (and
random access), and tape just won't fit the bill.  Go with the device
approach and you'll be much better off.  The tape cartridge being present
will only matter when you're trying to read/write.

my $.02,
larry