Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2022 09:00:14 +0200
From:      Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: typing with broken arm

Hi,

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 02:04:54 -0400
Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 12:30 AM David Christensen <
> dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/10/22 15:09, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > > I just broke my wrist and find typing (coding) very hard (took me
> > > 5 mins
> > > type this sentence for example).   Any ideas on how to make it
> > > easier to type/input code (Java, HTML and JavaScript)?
> >

> > It would be helpful if we knew:
> >
> > * Which wrist is injured, left or right?
> >

> left (right handed)

I have had the same problem with my right hand during my younger days.

The first thing which comes to mind is reassigning some keys to that
you can press them with your left hand. Even if it is at a much lower
speed.

Worse case, tape something like a pencil onto the left hand that sticks
a bit out so activating a key becomes easier.

What could help is a smaller keyboard which is mainly operated with the
right hand. This is a double sided sword as it also makes reaching
certain keys basically impossible for you. It will depend on your style
of work.

> Temp but know how long since I got the cast at urgent care and see the
> orthopedist on Monday.

Good luck!

> > On 6/11/22 08:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >  > as soon as I'm
> >  > using the left hand only, I need to search the chars. Searching
> >  > chars is very time consuming. I needed 4 minutes to type the OPs
> >  > initial sentence.
> >

> > I did some typing benchmarks:
> >
> > * It took me 32 seconds to type the OP's original message with two
> > hands.  A few errors remained.  Additional time was required for
> > proofreading and corrections.
> >
> > * It took me 2 minutes 0 seconds with my left hand alone, with more
> > errors and more time.
> >
> > * It took me 2 minutes 28 seconds with my right hand alone, with
> > more errors and more time.
> >

> I am getting faster and more accurate. I am getting it down to about
> 2 mins now for one handed typing and not hitting weird ctl/alt/shift
> combos by accident as much but much slower then my normal touch
> typing.

This is where reassigning keys and a 60% keyboard could help. Have a
look at the Ducky One Mini. I moved away from the Poker even with two
hands operational as it requires way too often both hands at the
keyboard.

Erich