Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 01:09:19 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        ro11@crux2.cit.cornell.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emacs pkg_add problem -- please help.

> Thanks, Jim, I'll try that.  It seems a little strange that one
> should have to install the X server in order to run emacs, rather
> than being able to run emacs from the console.  Is this really the
> way the package is designed ?

I believe so. The idea of packages is to provide something that'll get
everyone started as quickly as possible, rather than forcing people to
fiddle around with Makefile and config files before they can use any
applications. Most people seem to want to use X, so the emacs package
is built with X support.

If you want to build a text-only emacs, you have to install the ports
distribution, do 'make extract' in /usr/ports/editors/emacs and read
the INSTALL instructions in the emacs source distribution on how to
configure it that way.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
jraynard@dial.pipex.com