Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 14:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        art@pilikia.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail traffic analysis

In article <20010511172756$2b96@traf.lcs.mit.edu> you write:

>I'm not sure how to monitor sendmail with SNMP, and would be
>interested in hearing from others what tools they use to monitor SMTP
>traffic on their FreeBSD systems.

Depends on what and how you want to monitor.  For BIND, I wrote a
little script that stuffs those annoying statistics dumps into an
RRD.  You could conceivably do the same thing with sendmail, although
you would have to collect your own stats by analyzing the log files.

The one place where we use SNMP to monitor sendmail is by using
ucd-snmp's process monitoring feature.  We then use Cricket to monitor
the number of sendmails active.  While this is statistically invalid
(because cricket measures every five minutes exactly) it still gives
us a useful look at what's going on.  (I just looked at my long-term
cricket graphs and learned something which was totally new to me:
there seems to be a new outbreak of the Hybris worm on the seventh day
of every month, although the population seems to have peaked last
February.)

-GAWollman