Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 01:36:31 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq1.emergingtech.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail relaying denied

Wayne M Barnes wrote:

> Dear Javier,
>
>      Thank you very much.  This worked.
>
>      Now I would like to suggest that the FreeBSD 3.1 install and make
> world should have done this for me.  Evidently this new 'feature' is
> part of an upgraded sendmail that is in 3.1 for the first time recently,
> so the install should provide my poor computer with its own domain
> authorized in the new file /etc/mail/relay-domains.
>
>      Then the user that learns more about the new sendmail
> filtering can always tighten it up later, if necessary.  Luckily,
> I had only two users using Pegasus (I suppose Eudora would have had
> the same problem).  It could have been dozens.  My poor users popped with
> their login names and passwords.  Who knew that sendmail would now consider
> their W95 systems to be real computers?

So, what you are saying is a feature added to Sendmail to repress the
explosive growth of spam now taking place should be automatically
subverted by FreeBSD to avoid inconveniencing some administrators who
haven't kept up with contemporary email issues?  Consider how the press
would read when the world discovered FreeBSD implemented this, thereby
making it easier for spammers to relay spam through FreeBSD hosts.
Suddenly the perception, if not the reality, becomes; 'Freebsd, the Spam
friendly OS'.  Brilliant.

This feature was added to Sendmail for a good reason and this feature
has not been tampered with by FreeBSD for a good reason.  The reason is
obvious.  I had zero involvement in any of these decisions, yet this is
clear to me.

BTW, upgrades to production servers mandate testing.  Your 'poor users'
would really appreciate this.  If you get burned by something you didn't
test the best policy is to humbly correct the problem and then practice
silence.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.