Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:05:44 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

At 02:31 PM 3/7/01 -0500, Russell D. Murphy Jr. wrote:

>Another datapoint. . .
>
>I changed make.conf on, I believe, Dec. 6:
>
>    # CFLAGS= -O -pipe
>    CFLAGS= -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
>
>(There's also:
>
>    COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe)
>
>(I gather that -mcpu is redundant.)  I re-cvsup, buildworld, and
>installworld (and kernel. . .) roughly weekly (7 times, by my logs).
>Until the CPUTYPE discussion came up, I had forgotten I was trying out
>-march; everything seems to be working fine.  The machine is:

The -mcpu is redundant -march includes it.

Will also reiterate that combining -march with optimization levels other
than -O (-O2, -O3, -Os) does tend to break more often than not.  Using
-mcpu is much less problematic.

Will be curious to see using -O2 for world and kernel builds will break
with the new flags.  Matt may have given up on it, but it has been working
(again) for months now.  Keep expecting it to break, which these changes
most likely will.

The text in make.conf is sufficient, but at first the name of the flag
(CPUTYPE) made me think more of -mcpu than -march.  At least the gcc flag
is on the same line and it should not matter.  Those tweaking the flags are
on there own and should be familiar the mechanisms involved.

Am also curious if some port builds might be affected.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve