Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2023 16:51:05 -0400
From:      Steven Friedrich <freebsdlouisville@gmail.com>
Subject:   Using /etc/hosts, not dns

I have been using /etc/hosts for decades to identify local hosts.  I
don't want the complexity of dns for this simple scenario.

I issue: host slimline
Host slimline not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Here's the /etc/hosts:

# $FreeBSD$
#
# Host Database
#
# This file should contain the addresses and aliases for local hosts that
# share this file.  Replace 'my.domain' below with the domainname of your
# machine.
#
# In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may
# not be consulted at all; see /etc/nsswitch.conf for the resolution order.
#
#
::1			localhost localhost.Friedrich.org
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.Friedrich.org
127.0.1.1		Slimline.Friedrich.org
#
# Imaginary network.
#10.0.0.2		myname.my.domain myname
#10.0.0.3		myfriend.my.domain myfriend
#
# According to RFC 1918, you can use the following IP networks for
# private nets which will never be connected to the Internet:
#
#	10.0.0.0	-   10.255.255.255
#	172.16.0.0	-   172.31.255.255
#	192.168.0.0	-   192.168.255.255
#
# In case you want to be able to connect to the Internet, you need
# real official assigned numbers.  Do not try to invent your own network
# numbers but instead get one from your network provider (if any) or
# from your regional registry (ARIN, APNIC, LACNIC, RIPE NCC, or AfriNIC.)
#
# local additions
192.168.1.1	Verizon Internet
192.168.2.1	RAX80 Netgear router
192.168.2.2	NAS WDMyCloudEX2Ultra
192.168.2.3	Brother laser
192.168.2.4	AppleTV
192.168.2.5	HP-ENVY
192.168.2.6	PS5
192.168.2.7	PS4
192.168.2.9	Slimline.Friedrich.org Slimline
192.168.2.10	Pi4B
192.168.2.11	Dell Inspiron3668 MATE Cinnamon Neon Xfce PCLinux
192.168.2.12	iPhone
192.168.2.15	XPS XPS-9320 laptop

and /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 192.168.2.1

nameserver 127.0.0.1
options edns0

and /etc/nsswitch.conf

#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD$
#
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
netgroup: compat
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
services: compat
services_compat: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files

Why won't host lookup slimline in /etc/hosts?
--
FreeBSD slimline.friedrich.org 13.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p1
GENERIC amd64