Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:10:19 -0600
From:      "Chuck Burdick (TT)" <chuck.burdick@tradingtechnologies.com>
To:        'Ben Smithurst' <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: /var/run/log missing

I found the problem. By running 'syslogd -d', I saw that it was complaining
about udp.  Then I remembered that I had hacked (in the butcher sense)
through my /etc/services.  Apparently I had inadvertantly commented the
syslog entry.  Thus syslogd didn't know which port to bind and crapped out.

Thanks,
Chuck

<EDITED>