Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:06:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gimp upgrade

On 30-Dec-99 Jim Mock wrote:
> Strange, script-fu works fine here.. that was one of the first things I
> tested since I was having the same problem with it crashing on previous
> versions too.
>
>   FreeBSD luna.cdrom.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Wed Dec 29
>   15:45:17 PST 1999     jim@luna.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/LUNA i386

FreeBSD shadow.blackdawn.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Tue Dec 28
10:44:21 EST 1999     root@shadow.blackdawn.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SHADOW
i386

Dec 28 3.4-STABLE sources (in case you had any doubt about how old they were).

I didn't bother testing it on argon.blackdawn.com, since that's a very old
(from source) version of -CURRENT. It doesn't even have marcel's signal.h
changes in it yet.

>> <1 5022-0> (99-12-30 8:50:20) [root@shadow /usr/ports/graphics/gimp1.new]#
>> ll
>> /usr/X11R6/libexec/gimp/1.1/modules/
>> total 41
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   5762 Dec 30 08:47 libcdisplay_gamma.a
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3148 Dec 30 08:47 libcolorsel_gtk.a
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  15644 Dec 30 08:47 libcolorsel_triangle.a
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  15130 Dec 30 08:47 libcolorsel_water.a
>
> Hrm, I can't replicate the deinstall issue either..
>
>   [root@luna:/home/jim/freebsd/ports/gimp1]# make deinstall
>   ===>  Deinstalling for gimp-1.1.14
>   [root@luna:/home/jim/freebsd/ports/gimp1]#

Are you sure you don't have the above modules installed? Can you try searching
for them? Maybe they don't get installed in the same directory on your system
as they do on mine (and therefore you have no deinstall issues)?

> Like I said, I was seeing the same thing for a while.. until I installed
> this version actually.  Are you testing it on -CURRENT or -STABLE?  Also,
> make sure you nuke any pre-existing gimp cruft.. directories, stray
> libs, etc., and try it again.  The other report I got was the same as
> what I was seeing.

-STABLE. I wouldn't trust my old -CURRENT machine to do the job right, so I did
it on my -STABLE machine instead.

Feel free to commit, since I seem to be the only one with this problem; I'll
probably figure out that I borked some configuration or something. My system
has extensively been compiled up the arse and I'm not sure my libraries are
completely from the standard ports tree. That is, I've force recompiled some
things using gcc 2.95.2 (mostly only KDE and Qt stuff because of the outdated
ports). But I _THINK_ I restored most of those libraries.

This sucks. :\

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>