Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:56:32 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        Scott Johnson <srj@nsd.3com.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need to move data

I had to do a similar type operation....

treat the new disk as a fresh install, installing the bare minimum..
Then newfs all the files systems on the new disk to clean them..
make some directories in /mnt with '(cd /mnt; mkdir a e f g h)'.
This will make /mnt/a /mnt/e /mnt/f /mnt/g /mnt/h to correspond with
of course you don't need them all. you only need the ones that match
what is currently on your ide disk... ie: /mnt/a will match /dev/wd0a
which is where / is located. /mnt/e will match /dev/wd0e in case you
have /home on /wd0e... get the idea..?

Now then, do the following on root(/dev/wd0a) and as in the above example,
home (/dev/wd0e).

mount /dev/sd0a /mnt/a
mount /dev/sd0e /mnt/e
(dump 0f - /) | (cd /mnt/a; restore rf -)
(dump 0f - /home) | (cd /mnt/e; restore rf -)

get the picture..

The result will be a bootable(if the SCSI ID is 0) new 1Gig disk..
don't forget to remove the IDE or put it on the second controller.

Hope this helps...(or at least gives you some ideas)...
On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Scott Johnson wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm upgrading my disk, and need to move the data from the old 100MB
> IDE drive to the new 1GB SCSI drive.
>
> Is it possible to mount the new disk into the old filesystem, transfer
> the files, and then remount the new disk as the new filesystem? (I'm
> planning on the new disk having the root partition)
>
>  --srj           It doesn't matter whether you win or lose -- until you lose.
>        o_O                                                         --unknown
>         U  Ack!  Scott Johnson  3Com Corporation  srj@3com.com  408-764-6248

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178