Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 09:36:41 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        ccsanady@iastate.edu
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: ps/2 mouse problems in 2.2-BETA..

>I have been experiencing some problems with mouse in this beta.  What
>seems to happen is when the system is hevily swapping, and there is a
>lot of mouse movement, the cursor goes insane.  It will zip around the
>screen, click randomly and such for a while.  The thing is, I know its not
>just queued requests, because I see actions that I know I never performed
>with the mouse.  It's almost as though the buffer was filled with junk,
>very odd.

The most likely explanation is that the mouse and the X server have
become out of sync due to a lost interrupt. Assuming you are using
XFree86 and the X server is not accessing the mouse via `moused', you
can switch away from X to a vty then come back to the X, and they will
re-sync. This should work because the XFree86 server opens the mouse
device only when it is in the foreground; it closes the mouse device
when the user switches away from the X server, thus, flipping between
the X server and a vty should close and re-open the device and give
the X and the mouse a chance to re-sync.

Unlike serial mice, it is not easy to ensure the PS/2 mouse and the
driver are synchronized ;-< By default, the `psm' driver does not
check the header byte of the 3-byte status data packet from the PS/2
mouse (in order to support the ALPS GlidePoint device). You may put
`options PSM_CHECKSYNC' in the kernel configuration file to enable the
minimal sync check feature in the `psm' driver. But, the check is
minimal; you may still see the problem.  When you do, click any mouse
button without moving the mouse and the driver will find the header
byte. The trick should work even when the mouse is accessed via
`moused'.

The `psm' driver in 2.2-BETA shares a common set of routines (kbdio)
with the `syscons' driver to access the keyboard controller to which
the PS/2 mouse port is wired. Because the routines are new, they need
extensive testing. Please try the tricks above and tell me if they
work.

By the way, the `psm' driver in 2.1.X does not check the header byte
either, and can easily go out of sync with the mouse. Did your system
have the same problem under 2.1.X? If so, was the problem better or
worse than now?

Kazu