Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:57:15 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   HAST, ucarp, and ZFS

Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding on my part of the layering involved,
but I'm having an issue with the sample ucarp_up.sh script on the HAST wiki
page.

Here's the test setup that I have:
  hast1:
      glabel 4x 2 GB virtual disks (label/disk01 --> label/disk04)
      hast.conf create 4 resources (disk01 --> disk04, using the glabelled
disks)
      zpool create hapool raidz1 hast/disk01 .. hast/disk04

  hast2:
      glabel 4x 2 GB virtual disks (label/disk01 --> label/disk04)
      hast.conf create 4 resources (disk01 --> disk04)

So far so good.  On hast1, I have a working ZFS pool, I can create data,
filessytems, etc, and watch network traffic as it syncs to hast2.

I can manually down hast1 and switch hast2 to "primary" and import the
hapool.  I can create data, filesystems, etc.  And I can manually bring
hast1 online and set it to secondary, and watch it sync back.

Where I'm stuck is how to modify the ucarp_up.sh script to work with
multiple hast resources.  Do I just edit it to handle each of the 4 hast
resources in turn, or am I missing something simple, like that there should
only be a single hast resource?  I'm guess it's a simple "edit the script to
suit my setup" issue, but wanted to double-check.

The production server I want to use this with has 24 harddrives in it,
configured into multiple raidz2 vdevs, as part of a single ZFS pool.  Which
will mean 24 separate hast resources, if I understand things correctly.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com