Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 13:23:43 +0200
From:      Thomas Roell <roell@blah.a.isar.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        roell@blah.a.isar.de (Thomas Roell), hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

In your message of 6 April 1996 you write:

> As Thomas Roell wrote:
>
> > > F_SETOWN on a tty only works for controlling terminals.  This is because
> > > F_SETOWN is implemented as tcsetpgrp() and tcsetpgrp() is specified by
> > > POSIX.
>
> > 1) How do I get my process to be the controlling pgrp of this tty ? I
> >    tried all things that worked under SVR4, but I'm lost on this one.
> >    Just a couple of sample code lines would help me here incredible.
>
> See my other example (you might have missed it, i've sent it to
> freebsd-hackers).  Basically, after #include'ing the appropriate
> headers:
>
> 	fork() -> exit the parent
> 	setsid()
> 	ioctl(fd, TIOCSCTTY, NULL)
>
> I doubt this is what you want :), don't you think polling with
> select() would be easier?

This is neither what I want, nor is select() easier to use for me in
this scenario. Actually I'm using select() right now and want to get
rid of it.

> > 2) Can my progress have two controlling ttys ?
>
> Of course not.

That's what I thought.

> > 3) Since this process has opened already a virutal terminal, he is
> >    recieving signals for VT switching. Now if I would detach this one
> >    from being the controlling tty and move the controlling tty to
> >    /dev/cuaa1, would I still get those signals ?
>
> Of course not.  But you would see the SIGHUP caused by unplugging the
> mouse. =:)

*sigh*
--
Denver Office                THOMAS ROELL        /\      Das Reh springt hoch,
+1(303)298-7478              X INSIDE INC       /  \/\   das Reh springt weit,