Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 10:53:23 -0400
From:      Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us>
To:        Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network performance 6.1 stable vs 4.9

Dominic Marks wrote:

>Stephen Clark wrote:
>

>>Hello List,
>>
>>We have a network appliance that is currently based on 4.9. We are in
>>the process of releasing
>>a new version based on 6.1 stable.
>>

>You are going to get asked this, so I'll ask first.
>
>Whats the reason behind not running a more recent STABLE? I understand
>developing a product on a moving platform is not ideal, but its going to
>be mentioned!
>

>>In our testing using nttcp thru the appliance we see insignifant
>>difference in thruput between the 2
>>versions in a controlled environment - aproximately 94mbs on a 100mb lan.
>>
>>We have a person that is testing the both system inhouse surfing out
>>over the internet on our T1
>>link and he complains that he is consistently seeing the 6.1 version
>>being much slower than the
>>4.9 version (on the same hardware).
>>He has been comparing the 6.1 system to 4.9 system for a couple of weeks
>>and continues to insist the 6.1 version is much slower.
>>

>You don't mention what the appliance actually does beyond just moving
>packets about? Surfing implies some sort of proxy or gateway device?
>

>>Are there any sysctl tunables that may affect performance going over the
>>internet
>>with a slower link, dropped packets, etc that could cause this?
>>
>>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>

>Dominic

Hi Dominic,

The appliance is basically a firewall/nat/vpn device. We started on 6.1
last year and it has
taken us a while to get things tested, plus I don't like to use a brand
new release. If we go to
a later release it means we have to do complete regression testing, etc.

We are basically using a GENERIC config for our kernel. We, meaning the
R&D team don't see any
performance issues in a controlled environment - 6.1 performs just as
well as 4.9.

In subjective tests R&D has done using the following setup we see "no"
problem:

freebsd+firefox <--100mbs lan---> 6.1 network appliance <----T1
link----> internet
freebsd+firefox <--100mbs lan---> 4.9 network appliance <----T1
link----> internet

One of our testers has the same setup but is using winblows/ie in place of
freebsd+firefox and subjectively says the 6.1 system is slower than the
4.9 system.

I was just wandering if there were any tunables that might cause this.

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)