Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 10:37:53 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Antonello Biancalana <promind@tecnonet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info about installation

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Antonello Biancalana wrote:

> I am interested in installing FreeBSD in my system and I should like to
> know whether ATAPI CD-Roms are supported as installation media. I read
> somewhere that FreeBSD require a SCSI CDRom in order to get it
> installed.
>
> Can I buy the CDRom version of FreeBSD and install it by means of my
> Piooneer ATAPI CD-Rom?

Maybe. Some CDROMs are supported and some not. You have a very high
chance of a SCSI CD working, and a *slightly* lower chance with an ATAPI
CD. You can check it out though. Download the boot floppy for the release
you want, and try booting while a CD (any CD) is in the drive. Watch the
probe messages during the boot sequence (you can use ScrollLock to scroll
back the messages). If you see a device called wcd0 recognized (it'll
probably tell you it has a disk inside, etc.), then it works. You should
try with the CD connected either as the slave device on the primary IDE
channel or as the master device on the secondary IDE channel.

> With my very best regards.
>
> --
> | Antonello Biancalana              | e-mail: promind@tecnonet.it      |
> | ProMIND software development      | Powered by LinuX                 |

Nadav