Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:53:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is being extremely slow..

Kent Stewart writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > A wise decision.
> > > I was once tempted to overclock a P166 to 180 or somethig MHz.
> > > There were several weird errors due to overclocking that did never
> > > show up under W95 but only under FreeBSD at that time.
> > What's really wierd is that overclockers seldom go to even as much as
> > 10% more CPU. For anything but very long-running cpu-bound tasks
> > that's not enough to be noticeable!
> That isn't true. You go from a FSB of 66 to 100 and clock for clock
> that is a 1.5x gain.

I've never heard of anyone doing that one before(*). The ones I see
are more like the one here (166 -> 180), which is less than 9%.

However, what I normally see are CPU speeds, which might be a
different ball of wax. If you go from 66 to 100 FSB with 4x cpu
multiplier and a 366MHz CPU, then the *CPU* clocked at 400MHz, which
is right at 10%.

I'm not into this stuff. The damn things are flaky enough without
going out of my way to make them worse.

	<mike

*) The exceptions are the guys doing liquid-cooled systems, and
getting 2 or 3x. On the other hand, they admit they're doing it for
hack value, and are spending more on the system than it would have
cost to buy a system running at the resulting speed.