Date:      Thu,  2 Dec 1999 22:04:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: bdevs have been assimilated.

Matthew Jacob writes:

 > > Can't you boot from the old kernel?  Or have you already wiped the
 >
 > I can boot the old kernel. A MAKEDEV using the new MAKEDEV has now wiped
 > all block devs, so swapon, etc. ,fail.. However, this is the conundrum-
 > it's not safe to do a 'make installworld' on a two week old kernel, but
 > the new kernel with old mount, fsck, etc., obviously cannot cope with the
 > new 'raw-only' devices.
 >
 > An experience like this will move users to OpenBSD. This kind of jump up
 > is completely unacceptable.

Slow down.  You are getting screwed by a combination of things.  It
isn't all phk's fault.

The bdev elimination is one factor, but the most important one (the
fsck/mount segv) is due to int/long breakage introduced version 1.85
of mount.h.  This happened at the worst possible time (just after the
bdev elimination).

If I wasn't such a timid committer, I would have just committed the
damned fix yesterday, before running it by Kirk & you wouldn't have
had this problem.  I tried to be vocal about it (messages to -alpha
and -committers), but I guss that wasn't enought.

Sorry,

Drew