Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 21:35:25 -0400
From:      Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ip_divert blues (was natd blues)

     I recently posted help on a slowdown problem when using natd.  I
found out that ipfilter (ipnat) is doing the very same thing: slowdown.
I trimed down the kernel to almost nothing, I removed a network adapter
I didn't need; in brief, I did everything I could think of ...  nothing
has changed.  My cable modem is as slow as an ADSL.

   I have two rules in my firewall when using natd:
       - 100 divert natd all from any to any via rl0
       - 200 pass all from any to any

   On the nat machine, I start a transfer with my ISP's ftp server to be
able to reach maximum transfer speed.  I get something like 50k/s.  On
the fly, I add a third rule: 50 pass all from any to any.  Suddently, my
transfer rate goes up to nearly 170k/s.

   I removed all IPv6 options, all IP stuff I didn't need for nat.  I
removed all comm ports, parallel ports to free irqs.  I removed all my
NFS options (kept NFS server active).  I just don't know what is that
slowdown!  With 3.4 I didn't have this problem.  I am seriously thinking
about reinstalling a 3.4 kernel on this machine.

   The nat machine is a P90 with 32megs of ram.  It has a 3com 3B905BTX
and a cheaper nic connected to the cable modem (realtek).

   Ideas?  Has the IP divertion become that slow?

Normand Leclerc
leclercn@videotron.ca