Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:12:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: call for testers: port aggregation netgraph module

> I've just finished scouring Cisco's documentation, and it doesn't look
> like FEC is anything beyond plain old trunking (with the option of
> autoconfiguration on some hardware).  As long as you configure the
> appropriate ports on the switch on the other end as "SA-Trunk", or
> "Trunk", you should be okay.

The important thing to understand is that Etherchannel is just a
mechanism for selecting an outbound port in a trunk; it's completely
agnostic about where stuff comes in from, and involves no peer
negotiation or anything funky like one might expect.

An interesting corollary of this is that Bill's code could easily be
expanded to support symmetrical or asymmetrical load balancing, true link
redundancy, etc. by an enterprising individual.

Also, just to state the obvious - if people want this code tested with a
particular piece of hardware, just send it to Bill.  He can't resist that
sort of temptation. 8)