Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 16:28:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 04-Mar-98 Chuck Robey wrote:

> Would you mind expanding on that?  I'm interested ...

[ This list is turning into simon's own soap box.  My apologies, but some
of these issues are interesting to me and others.  I hope for opposing
views ]

The original concept of Unix, the way I understand it was a symetrical I/O.
 All system resources are represented as files in a heirarchial filesystem.
 Files are uniformly presented as bytestreams.

Then reality started messing it all up.  Some files are seekable.  some are
not.  no clean way to know that by looking at the file.  Even dirtier, to
tell a device something, you do not write to it.  To hear something from a
device you do not read it.  You execute an orthogonal system call ioctl(2).
Plan9 (and some devices in FreeBSD) have implemented read/write interface
to /dev/foo.ctl.  It should be consistent.  It is not.

Files are arranged in Heiracrchial order, and the mount concept was
introduced to allow moving segments of the heiracrchy around.  Alas, the
mount is opaque.  FreeBSD has a special means of taking this opacity out
but it panics my system every time I try it.

Unix-Unix communications is artificial, cumbersone and basically broken
(See NFS).  Plan9 introcuces a uniform, simple and clean message protocol
that is uniform, universal, and clean.

There are a host of other, even more important issues.  They are well
covered elsewhere.  I just enjoyed the clean, elegant design.  The
implementation...

Simon