Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:59:22 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@ice.cold.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression

    Brandon> Perhaps its how I'm executing dump, but when I run a tar
    Brandon> of a filesystem, to tape, I can get the whole filesystem
    Brandon> (without compression) but when I run dump, it asks for me
    Brandon> to put in another tape without backing up the whole
    Brandon> filesystem...

tar will run until it hits end-of-medium. dump doesn't like falling
off the end of the tape. It's defaults are for a quite small tape
capacity (i.e. something like the 145MB you can get onto a 6250BPI
9 track). You need to investigate the 'b' and 'B' options to tar,
and come up with a value that's suitable for your particular
tape drive. (I usually pick a few % under the total tape capacity.
dump requires a bit more tape space than just the number of blocks
used in the filesystem. It uses this space to write the directory
information at the front of the tape file.)

--lyndon