Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 12:13:27 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: to be Philips or to be Temac (Wincast question)

Hi,

> Making some progress..  Enabling AFC now let's me get aquire a few more
> channels (although it's still jumpy) so I assume AFC must be working. Now
> that I have AFC, I am about to play with the SYNC again.
>
> JUST one question, please only reply if you know the following statement
> to be false.
>
> Wincast boards, use Philips Tuner
>
> Win/TV (PAL) boards, use Temic tuner.

the problem is that the 2 tuners are almost exactly identical (I suspect that
the temic was derived from the philips as a 'second source').  someone opened
a temic and found it to be full of philips parts.  so the bottom line is that
a manufacturer might change from temic to philips (or visa-versa) during
the lifetime of a product, thus the above statement could change in validity
over time...

---
> I am very tempted to open to metal can, but if I do that I destory any
> possibility of returning this board.

my first step would be to look under the wincast label to see if the original
manufacturer's label is there.  I'm not sure what cound be deternmined by
looking inside the can, but you might luck out and find a label of some sort.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by