Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:36:18 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        James Sarrett <James.Sarrett@asu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: this is the wrong place to ask this i know, but just the same...

James Sarrett wrote this message on Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:38 -0700:
> Since you guys are skilled code monkeys, i figured you'd probably know
> the awnser.  What facilities does fBSD provide from a user program
> doing something like this (admittedly probably incorrect code):
>
> void writemem() {
> int address,value,i;
int *i;
> address << cin;
> value << cin;
>
> *i = address;
i = address;
> i=value;
*i = value;
> }
>
> As a way for a program to write to any specified address, i.e. to
> change a umask of a running process or something.

Of course, this can only be used to change memory in your own address
space.  If you need to change memory in another address space, you need
to use mmap and /proc to get access to the other process address space.

If you need more information than above, we can't help you, get a book
on how to program in the Unix environment, or any IPC communication in
the Unix environment.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579