Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: USB to serial support?

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Otter mumbled:

> Gabriel,
> For additional serial ports, you might want to consider a DigiBoard or
> BocaBoard. For modem use, look at the FreeBSD HCL first. The Boca 1008
> is one that does NOT work with modems, last i knew.

Both are nice boards, but in this case, I don't think Gabriel has any
PCI/ISA slots left as stated below.

I personally do not know if any USB to serial port adapters work under
FreeBSD. You may want to glance at the FreeBSD Handbook under
suppported hardware for a list of compatible hardware.

The FreeBSD Handbook can be viewed at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

> > I'm in need for a USB to serial adapter because I ran out of serial
> > ports in one of my machines and don't have any slots left
> > for ISA/PCI
> > serial cards. I recently saw some USB-to-Serial adapters (intended
> > primarily for modems, I think but this shouldn't matter) and thought
> > this could be a solution.

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org