Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPT Firmware Problem

Again, apologies for the cross posting.

We have discovered a serious bug in the DPT firmware, Version 7L0.

It manifests itself in the following manner (at least):

*  On Single Ended controllers;  The ``Shelf Good'' signal reaches the DPT
   from the disk bay, but the HBA equivalent (HBA Good) does not reach the
   disk bay.  As a result, the fault light remains on, and the disk
   cassettes will erratically display the fault light.

*  On differential controllers connected via Diff-SE adaptor;  A whole bus
   will seem to have disappeared.  If you struggle with the cables, you MAY
   see it for a while, but it will not survive a re-boot.

Solution:  Roll back to (ar stay at) the 7H firmware.  I have posted 7H3
           firmware in ftp://sendero-ppp.i-connect.net/crash/476d07h3.fwi
           There are no restrictions on downloading it.

We know of this problem with several StorageWorks disk bays, ours included.
We have not tested it with other disk bays, and drives which are directly
connected are NOT effected.

We will post a new firmware once we get it from DPT and veify proper
operation.

Hope this helps.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 23-Sep-97, 15:12:42
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313