Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 00:10:16 +0100
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV and device permissions

> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> Date: Tue 16 May, 1995
> Subject: Re: MAKEDEV and device permissions

> You still have to be aware of the umasks unless everything is chmod'ed.
> I think chmod'ing everything would be too verbose.

I like this self-documenting verbosity ;-) .

> >Rod showed me a candidate patch which seemed to confuse umasks with
> >modes (in favour of modes :-), which resulted in some calls to "umask
> >37" and some to "umask 026" to do the same thing...
>
> I started removing the execute bits from the umasks since they are
> irrelevant for devices (mknod masks them anyway) and wrong for directories.

Ah, I didn't realise it was deliberate.  Consistent use of umask in this
way would be reasonable.  I still favour chmod'ing, though.

I can still think of messy bits such as where control devices are created
with different permissions from the standard devices.  Do you default the
standard devices to rely on the umask, yet use chmod for the control
devices?  Do you set another temporary umask for the control devices
(unlikely)?  Without explicit chmods for everything, these places at
least need a comment saying "I know what I'm doing here".

		Mark.