Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 1995 10:02:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, chuckr@eng.umd.edu
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLB Disk Controllers

>Bruce, I have tried that on my 486/66, using a 2842 with a Seagate
>ST42100, and I notice that I get different results every time I run it,
>do you know why?  If that's supposed to be, then the results of that
>program really should be averaged, across multiple invocations before
>they really would show that accurately.

There's some inherent randomness, and the benchmark isn't as careful as
it could be.  It could begin by reading from track 0 to eliminate the
initial seek time, if any.  But you can run it twice ans mostly ignore
the results of the first run to get the same effect (of course the disk
must not be used by other processes or the contents of track 0 will be
flushed from the drive's cache.  It should have a time arg so that it
can run for longer itself...

Bruce