Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:21:41 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com, peter@netplex.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au, mike@ducky.net
Subject:   Re: "objtrm" problem probably found (was Re: Stuck in "objtrm")

>I was under the impression that a locked instruction was essentially free
>at runtime, with the sole exception of being one byte larger.

No, they are very expensive, at least when done in a minimal loop (8
cycles on my P5/133 UP and 16 cycles on my Celeron/450).  ISTR Steve
Passe saying that they took 30 cycles on an early SMP system.

>Also, with the posted example, atomic_cmpex() is #ifndef I386_CPU - that
>means it won't be available on any of the default kernels, either at
>install time or for 99% of post-install systems built from a release.

No one seems to have noticed dropping of support for coprocessorless/
working-FPU-emulatorless systems in cc (the default for -ffancy-math-387
changed from off to on with egcs).

Bruce